Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Grapes are bad...m'kay?

It seems like this is a little known fact, but grapes can be very bad for dogs. I only know because I look stuff up all the time to make sure I am not giving Daisy anything that is bad for her, she is the first dog I have owned, so I am not in the know. I had read it a few months back but looked it up again the other day just to be sure, since Daisy had just gulped down a few grapes that had fallen out of the fridge. We called the 24 hour vet and they suggested inducing vomiting, since the grapes can cause kidney failure. We took her in and she vomited up the grapes she ate. She went in today for some blood work to make sure her kidney function is okay. Luckily it looks like she is going to be fine. Keep the grapes and raisins away from your dogs!

3 comments:

Silverstar said...

Hi,
Nice blog.Wow, I had no idea grapes were so lethal. (California Raisins be damned!;)
I thought the major no-no for dogs was chocolate, guess our purple and green friends are next on the list.

Suki & Joey said...

Awww, poor baby. She is so cute! I'm glad she'll be ok. Another dangerous food is onions (and garlic). They have something in them that, eaten in large quantities, will kill dogs. There's a lot of dangerous stuff out there...be careful! :)
www.sillysuki.blogspot.com

Michele said...

I know! There is so much we can eat with no problem that makes them sick. I try to keep a "human food" away from her.